[Humanist] 28.820 LEME data: accessibility?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 15 08:24:12 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 11:17:38 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>
        Subject: Re:  28.817 Lexicons of Early Modern English

It is nice to know that the LEME has even more data, and it is indeed a
wonderful data set. But the last time I looked, the data were accessible
only through the vendor's interface. This is very different from the
practice of EEBO-TCP, where you can buy the right to access and use the
data in any way you please as long as you don't pass the raw data on to
others who have not paid for them.

Are there plans to make the raw LEME data available to folks who are
willing to pay for them? Obviously, free data are better than data you
have to pay for, but there is no free lunch, and this is not a call for a
"free" LEME in the cash sense of the world. On the other hand, however
good an interface, it will always constrain, and seriously constrain, what
you can do with the data behind it. It is of the essence of useful data
that somebody will do things with them that the original compiler or
curator had no idea of. So it ought to be possible for scholars to get
unconstrained access to the underlying data.

I would be delighted to be told that I'm quite wrong and such access is
available. But if I'm not wrong, what are the obstacles to making the data
available in a way that is not constrained by the current interface?

Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University

On 3/14/15, 08:35, "Humanist Discussion Group"