[Humanist] 28.813 Warner on the disfiguring of higher education

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 14 08:18:53 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:45:58 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: the disfiguring of higher education

In the latest London Review of Books, Marina Warner has written an
amplification and followup to her letter of some weeks ago on why she
resigned from the University of Essex: "Learning my lesson", LRB 37.6
(19 March). It may be downloaded from
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n06/marina-warner/learning-my-lesson. I have
good reason to believe that we in the U.K. are hardly alone in suffering
from the individual and institutional disease she describes. The
question for digital humanities, I suppose, is how it can only suffer
without becoming an instrument for the propagation of the disfigurement.

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney