[Humanist] 28.804 events: Space, Time and Landscape

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 11 07:41:22 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 10:20:34 +0000
        From: Elizabeth Bruton <elizabeth.bruton at GMAIL.COM>
        Subject: CFP: Space, place, & landscape in the history of communications, Weston Library, University of Oxford, 16 June 2015

CFP: Space, place, and landscape in the history of communications, a one-day
symposium at the Weston Library, University of Oxford, Tuesday 16 June
2015.

Space, place, and landscape have a significant impact on communications, on
the systems of communications that succeed as well as those that fail and on
the heritage of communications systems.  Recent scholarship in
communications studies and the history of communications has focused on how
modern electronic communications influence evolving concepts of time, space,
and geography and the crucial role of communications in experiencing
spatiality, temporality, spatiality and mobility.

At our one-day symposium, we wish to consider the inverse: the impact of
space, place, and landscape upon communications systems and their heritage
from 1700 to the present day.  We also wish to consider communications
systems in transit, how changing locations impact upon the transfer of
communications knowledge and technology.  We are especially interested in
papers which take an interdisciplinary approach to the history of
communications and use inventive methods for a broad exploration of history
of communications.

Our symposium will be convened by Professor Robert Fox, Emeritus Professor
of the History of Science, University of Oxford and Professor Graeme Gooday,
Head of School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science and Professor
of History of Science and Technology, University of Leeds.

Space, place, and landscape in history of communications will take place at
the Weston Library in central Oxford on Tuesday 16 June 2015 from 10am to
4pm.  Registration is free and we will have a small budget to cover
speakers’ travel expenses within the UK but participants are asked to
cover their own accommodation costs as well as travel outside of the UK.

Our conference will be of interest to historians of science and technology,
historical geographers, academic historians, archivists, social scientists,
students, academics in communication studies, and other more generally
interested in the history of communications and technology.  We invite
proposals for thirty-minute papers on the subject of space and place in
communications.

Proposals of no more than 250 words, together with the name, institutional
affiliation and a brief one-page CV of the speaker should be sent to
Elizabeth Bruton at elizabeth.bruton at gmail.com.  The closing date for
submissions is Friday 3 April 2015.