[Humanist] 28.795 open access; a formative mind

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 6 10:19:19 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>                   (58)
        Subject: Getting to open data for Classical Greek and Latin: breaking
                old habits and undoing the damage of current practices

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (40)
        Subject: the formative mind

        Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 09:55:10 +0100
        From: Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>
        Subject: Getting to open data for Classical Greek and Latin: breaking old habits and undoing the damage of current practices

Dear Humanists,

At this point (early 2015), it seems clear to me that shifting new
textual editions to an open access framework is only a matter of time --
at least for those researchers who draw their salaries in large measure
from state funding and/or who depend upon state sponsored research
support to produce those editions. It has been more than a decade since
Creative Commons published its first licenses (2002) and 25 years since
the TEI began describing ways of creating machine actionable editions
(the late 1980s). If anyone wants to see what is possible, they should
familiarize themselves with the Papyrological Editor at
http://papyri.info/. If you feel that the infrastructure at
http://papyri.info/ does not go far enough and you are a student of
Greek, Latin or some other language, then you should see what you can do
yourself to help improve the situation.

I forward the beginning of a blog post that considers this transition
but that particularly focuses on the problems of our legacy data: what
do we do about textual data  to which commercial entities can now claim
copyright and over which they can exercise control?

  Getting to open data for Classical Greek and Latin: breaking old
  habits and undoing the damage -- a call for comment!

Share  http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php

Gregory Crane
Professor of Classics and Winnick Family Chair of Technology and
Entrepreneurship
Tufts University

Alexander von Humboldt Professor of Digital Humanities
Open Access Officer
University of Leipzig

March 4, 2015

Philologists must for at least two reasons open up the textual data upon
which they base their work. First, researchers need to be able to
download, modify and redistribute their textual data if they are to
fully exploit both new methods that center around algorithmic analysis
(e.g., corpus linguistics, computational linguistics, text mining, and
various applications of machine learning) and new scholarly products and
practices that computational methods enable (e.g., on-going and
decentralized production of micro-publications by scholars from around
the world, as well as scalable evaluation systems to facilitate
contributions from, and learning by, citizen scientists). In some cases,
issues of privacy may come into play (e.g., where we study Greek and
Latin data produced by our students) but our textual editions of, and
associated annotations on, long-dead authors do not fall into this
category. Second, open data is essential if researchers working with
historical languages such as Classical Greek and Latin are to realize
either their obligation to conduct the most effective (as well as
transparent) research and or their obligation to advance the role that
those languages can play in the intellectual life of society as a whole.
It is not enough to make our 100 EUR monographs available under an Open
Access license. We must also make as accessible as possible the primary
sources upon which those monographs depend.

This blog post addresses two barriers that prevent students of
historical languages such as Classical Greek and Latin from shifting to
a fully open intellectual ecosystem: (1) the practice of giving control
of scholarly work to commercial entities that then use their monopoly
rights to generate revenue and (2) the legacy rights over critical
editions that scholars have already handed over to commercial entities....

[For the full text, see
https://sites.tufts.edu/perseusupdates/2015/03/04/getting-to-open-data-for-classical-greek-and-latin-breaking-old-habits-and-undoing-the-damage-a-call-for-comment/]