[Humanist] 28.777 jobs: professorship at Newcastle; asst. professorship at McMaster

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 2 07:36:02 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Andrew Mactavish <mactavis at mcmaster.ca>                   (25)
        Subject: Job: Assistant Professor of Digital Humanities (3-year
                contractually limited appointment)

  [2]   From:    Andrew Prescott <ajprescott at icloud.com>                   (20)
        Subject: professorship at Newcastle

        Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 09:53:25 -0500
        From: Andrew Mactavish <mactavis at mcmaster.ca>
        Subject: Job: Assistant Professor of Digital Humanities (3-year contractually limited appointment)

Dear Humanist,

McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario is pleased to announce a 3-year contractually limited appointment for an Assistant Professor of Digital Humanities.  The successful candidate will be Academic Director of the Lewis & Ruth Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship and teach in the Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia.  Please see the full ad below.

All the best,
Andrew

Dr. Andrew Mactavish, Associate Professor, Multimedia
Chair, Communication Studies and Multimedia
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

+1-905-525-9140 ext 23349
andrew.mactavish [at] mcmaster.ca

McMaster University
Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia
Lewis & Ruth Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, DIGITAL HUMANITIES

The Lewis & Ruth Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship and the Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia invite applications for a three-year contractually limited appointment as Academic Director of the Sherman Centre, 1 July 2015 – 30 June 2018. Candidates must have a Ph.D. and have an established research agenda in the Digital Humanities. The successful candidate will hold an appointment as Assistant Professor and be expected to teach in the Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia.

As Academic Director of the Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship, the successful candidate will assist the Centre in promoting and developing disciplinary and interdisciplinary digital scholarship at McMaster. The Academic Director recruits and works closely with our resident graduate student and postdoctoral researchers. Other priorities include working with the Administrative Director to articulate and pursue a strategic agenda to build the campus DH community; seeking out research funding opportunities; and reaching out to regional, national, and international DH organizations and initiatives.  The ideal candidate will be in a position to model the application of Digital Humanities tools and methodologies in their own research discipline.

The successful candidate is expected to model the integration of Digital Humanities in the curriculum through their own teaching and will be expected to teach up to 4 one-term courses in the Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia each year.

Housed in the Faculty of Humanities, the Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia is home to the MA in Communication and New Media, the Master of Communications Management, and two BA Honours programs, in Communication Studies and in Multimedia.  Faculty research and teaching spans a wide range of fields, including media studies, intellectual property, sound studies, popular music studies, international communications, political economy, audience studies, experimental video, virtual worlds, critical race, gender and queer studies, digital game studies, live coding, physical computing, and professional communication.  We therefore welcome applicants with PhDs from a wide variety of disciplines. Demonstrated skills in areas such as data visualization, software development, text analysis, project management, and/or GIS are highly desired.

Applicants should submit electronically a covering letter, a CV, and their Digital Humanities research portfolio to cmstdir at mcmaster.ca. Applicants should also arrange to have three confidential letters of reference sent to cmstdir at mcmaster.ca

Complete applications received by 31 March 2015 will be assured of full consideration. All documentation submitted in support of a candidate’s application becomes the property of the University and is not returnable.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. However, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority for this position. McMaster University is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse faculty and staff. The University encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Metis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and LGBTQ-identified persons. The University is committed to issues of accessibility. If you require any form of accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection procedure, please contact the Human Resources Service Centre at Extension 222-HR (22247).