[Humanist] 29.126 storytelling digitally

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jun 29 03:35:41 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:21:37 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: simulation and storytelling

Sharon Ghamari-Tabrizi, in "The Convergence of the Pentagon and
Hollywood" (Memory Bytes: History, Technology, and Digital Culture, ed.
Rabinovitz and Geil, 2004), describes in some detail the adoption by
the U.S. military of the entertainment industry's storytelling techniques
implemented by means of simulation. This chapter follows on from her
excellent "Simulating the Unthinkable: Gaming Future War in the 1950s
and 1960s", Social Studies of Science 30.2 (2000). In the 2004 piece
she describes a U.S. National Research Council workshop in October 1996
at which representatives from film, video game, entertainment and
theme-parks came together with those from the Department of
Defense, academia and the defense industries. There is much about this
convergence that we might productively take an interest in. Let me,
however, highlight storytelling in particular.

In a military context, Ghamari-Tabrizi points out, skilled storytelling
techniques are used to help participants in a VR environment sense that
they are in a real environment and behave accordingly. Storytelling
functions as a potent form of emotional cueing that would seem to elicit
the desired responses. But especially interesting, I think, is the fact
that "many conference participants argued that the preferred mode of
experiential immersion in electronic media is not the unframed chaos of
hypertext, but old-fashioned storytelling." She quotes Alex Seiden of
Industrial Light and Magic (note the date -- 1996): "I've never
seen a CD-ROM that moved me the way a powerful film has. I've never
visited a Web page with great emotional impact. I contend that linear
narrative is the fundamental art form of humankind: the novel, the play,
the film... these are the forms that define our cultural experience."

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney