[Humanist] 29.115 history of writing? images of early printed materials?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 23 22:30:29 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Elli Bleeker <elli.bleeker at gmail.com>                     (23)
        Subject: A History of Writing?

  [2]   From:    "Olivero, Tommaso" <tommaso.olivero.14 at ucl.ac.uk>          (8)
        Subject: Survey about image-based digital resources of early printed
                materials

        Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:54:44 +0200
        From: Elli Bleeker <elli.bleeker at gmail.com>

Dear all,

If I may, I would like to use this list as a collective brain:

Could you suggest any authoritative literature on writing practices? I am
aware of the large body of literature on scribal practices, but those focus
more on the (re)production of text(s) rather than on writing as an
individual, private practice. More specifically, the act of writing as
'putting words to your thoughts'.

Think along the lines of the seminal work "The Fluid Text" by John Bryant or
the French school of genetic criticism that examines the process of writing.
However, these studies are mostly based on modern manuscripts (Melville,
Flaubert, Proust, etc.). I wondered whether there are any studies into
earlier writing practices? I would like to know if, and how, the individual
practice of writing has been studied in the past.

I am currently using "A History of Reading in the West" (eds. Cavallo and
Chartier). This work includes a number of articles on early writing
practices, but they are --predictably- mainly focused on the aspect of
reading. Are there any other works you could recommend?

Thank you very much in advance.

Elli Bleeker
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow (DiXiT ITN)
University of Antwerp
+32 32654300
https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/staff/elli-bleeker/