[Humanist] 29.114 a large art history database into Omeka

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 23 22:28:10 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>         (48)
        Subject: Re:  29.110 a large art history database into Omeka?

  [2]   From:    Amir Simantov <wawina at gmail.com>                          (60)

  [3]   From:    Dot Porter <dot.porter at gmail.com>                         (57)

        Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 07:23:28 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>

Hi Christian-Emil,

the answer seems to be "no". Although I don't use Omeka, it says in several
places that it is dependent on MySQL specific "features and queries". e.g.
here: http://omeka.org/forums/topic/postgres-plugin, which is surprising.

My question to you is "why does it matter?" In what respect is MySql
deficient with respect to Postgres? I'm not a fan of storing images
directly in databases if that's what you're doing. I prefer to serve them
directly from the Web-server. That way all you all need to do is store the
metadata in the database, which is trivial. And far easier to back up.

Desmond Schmidt
University of Queensland

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <