[Humanist] 29.110 a large art history database into Omeka?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jun 21 22:48:39 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 20:28:55 +0000
        From: Christian-Emil Smith Ore <c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no>
        Subject: Omeka and other databases than mySql

Dear all,

Issue: Practical training of  bachelor students in History of Arts in developing on line museum exhibition. Omeka seems to be a good choice. Omeka  is based on the lamp stack (linux-apache-mysql-php), which is ok. It seems also to be hard wired to Dublin core which is not so ok, but out of scope here.

We have over the years developed image/art work database  with 60,000 images supplied with high quality catalogue data. This database is currently implemented in a Oracle 12 database, which is planned to be ported to a PostgreSQL.

I would be very happy is there is a way to plug in the larger art database on the "back side" of Omeka without (im)porting it to MySQL.  For example, is it possible to replace mySql with another RDMS in Omeka as it is for example in Drupal?

Kind regards,
Christian-Emil Ore
University of Oslo
Norway