[Humanist] 29.103 events: archives; the nature of experience

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 16 22:13:35 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    朱逸群 <simonycchu at gmail.com>                          (90)
        Subject: CFP: 6th International Conference of Digital Archives and
                Digital Humanities 2015- submission open until 15 July 2015

  [2]   From:    Michael Lissack <michael.lissack at gmail.com>               (21)
        Subject: Invitation to participate -- The Nature of Experience Salem
                Mass August 10-14, 2015

        Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:05:49 +0800
        From: 朱逸群 <simonycchu at gmail.com>
        Subject: CFP: 6th International Conference of Digital Archives and Digital Humanities 2015- submission open until 15 July 2015

Call for Papers

Focusing on East Asia:The 6th International Conference of Digital Archives
and Digital Humanities 2015

http://www.dadh.digital.ntu.edu.tw/en

December 1-2, 2015

National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan

Introduction

Digital Humanities is the child born out of employing rapidly advanced
information technologies to systematically manage and explore the enormous
amount of data accumulated from various research fields. In general,
Digital Humanities refers to the application of information techniques and
the data manage system that comes with it, to investigate issues in
humanities, in particularly those that are considered difficult, or even
next to impossible to observe, describe, or analyze without the aid of
information techniques. For example, digital technology can deal with the
cross-area studies of broader geographical areas, or the diachronic and
comparative researches in longitudinal dimension.

Through constant exchange of ideas between scholars of both humanities and
information technologies, the development of Digital Humanities has now
gone beyond simple data mining and exploring new research themes within
one’s own research field. It is aimed to become an interdisciplinary
approach that will intertwine knowledge from various research fields, and
integrate different types of data and analytical techniques, in order to
develop new research topics and methodologies, and to motivate both
reflections on and paradigm shift of humanities.

Looking from a broader sense, information technologies and digital data
have already had very profound impacts on contemporary culture and in our
daily lives. Therefore, issues such as how exactly the application of
information techniques and digital data have impacted which aspect of
contemporary lives; how they have inspired creativities in societal
movements, cultural forms, and artistic expressions; and what will our
lives will be like living in a digital world in the future, have become
important research themes in Digital Humanities.

The theme of this year's conference, “Focusing on East Asia,” is founded on
this area’s specific languages, histories, social lives, and cultures
different from the Western and shape the unique DH research concerns and
topics in East Asia. We welcome submissions on featured topics and
researches based on the particularities of languages, texts, and
social-historical contexts in East Asia. The aims of this conference are:
to engage more researchers to participate in the ongoing dialogs that will
eventually lead to the integration of expertise from various disciplines,
to stimulate more new research themes, and ultimately to contribute to the
growth and flourishing of the East Asia’s research community of Digital
Humanities.

Topics of interest

We invite submissions of abstracts relating (but not limited) to the
following aspects of digital humanities, especially encourage papers
dealing with texts or data from East Asia (including Taiwan, Japan, Korea,
China, Mongolia, Vietnam and Southeast Asia):

Development of digital technologies and their applications to help
advancing humanities studies (including digital media, data mining,
software design, and modeling, etc.).

Interdisciplinary research and humanistic research in literature studies,
linguistics, culture, and history that are conducted with the use of
digital data or digital technology.

Research related to the impact of digital technologies on social,
institutional, and cultural aspects, as well as its impact on globalization
and multiculturalism.

Innovative forms of digital arts such as music, film and theatre; and
digital applications such as digital design and new media.

Other DH-related topics.

Submission Guidelines

The call for papers is open for all who are interested.

All submissions are to be done online (website:
http://www.dadh.digital.ntu.edu.tw/up_index.php?LangType=en).

Submitted abstracts should include title, an abstract of 1,000-3,000 words,
3-5 keywords, as well as the author’s name, affiliation & position, contact
number, and email. The papers will be reviewed. Authors of accepted
abstracts will be required to submit the full papers by October 1, 2015.

Publications: A Conference Proceeding will be distributed during the
conference. The authors of the accepted papers will be invited to submit a
revised version after the conference. If accepted, it will be included in
the Series on Digital Humanities v. 7 published by the National Taiwan
University Press.

Important Dates

Abstract Submission Deadline: Midnight Taiwan time, July 15, 2015.

Notification of Acceptance: August 14, 2015.

Organizer

Research Center for Digital Humanities, National Taiwan University, Taiwan

Co-organizers (In Alphabetical Order)

College of Liberal Arts, National Cheng-chi University, Taiwan

Department of Computer Science, College of Science, National Cheng- chi
University, Taiwan

Dharma Drum Institute of Liberal Arts, Taiwan

The Institute of History and Philology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan

Conference Secretariat

Research Center for Digital Humanities, National Taiwan University, Taiwan

Tel: 886-2-33669846

Email: dadhic at gmail.com

Address:No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan