[Humanist] 29.91 events: libraries; corpora

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 11 11:27:20 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Bethany Nowviskie <bnowviskie at CLIR.ORG>                   (19)
        Subject: 2015 DLF Forum keynoters: Noble, Walker, and Bourg

  [2]   From:    CRH-2015 <crh2015 at easychair.org>                          (17)
        Subject: CRH-2015

        Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:16:09 +0000
        From: Bethany Nowviskie <bnowviskie at CLIR.ORG>

The Digital Library Federation (DLF) is very pleased to announce three wonderful plenary speakers for our 2015 Forum and DLF Liberal Arts Colleges Preconference event, to be held October 25-28 in Vancouver, BC.

http://www.diglib.org/forums/2015forum/
http://www.diglib.org/forums/2015forum/affiliated-events/dlflac/

Safiya U. Noble, Ph.D., noted scholar of sociocultural informatics, will deliver a thought-provoking opening keynote for the DLF Forum. The DLF LAC Pre-Conference will feature an exciting joint keynote presentation by Cecily Walker and Chris Bourg, Ph.D.

Speaker bios are below. Titles and abstracts will be available soon, but meantime, be sure to submit your own proposals for the Forum and Preconference by Monday, June 22nd:

http://www.diglib.org/forums/2015forum/cfp/
http://www.diglib.org/forums/2015forum/affiliated-events/dlflac/cfp/

Join us in beautiful Vancouver!

On behalf of the planning and program committees,
Bethany

Bethany Nowviskie
Director of the Digital Library Federation at CLIR
& Research Associate Professor of Digital Humanities at UVa
diglib.org<http://diglib.org/> | clir.org<http://clir.org/> | nowviskie.org<http://nowviskie.org/>

* * *

Dr. Safiya U. Noble works in critical race and information studies and socio-cultural informatics, “including feminist, historical and political-economic perspectives on computing platforms and software in the public interest.” Dr. Noble is an assistant professor in the Department of Information Studies in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at UCLA, where she conducts research “at the intersection of culture and technology in the design and use of applications on the Internet.” She is the author or co-author of articles such as “Google Search: Hyper-visibility as a Means of Rendering Black Women and Girls Invisible,” “Race and Social Media,” and “Geographic Information Systems: a Critical Look at the Commercialization of Public Information,” as well as the forthcoming, “Social Justice as Topic and Tool: An Attempt to Transform a LIS Curriculum and Culture” in Library Quarterly. Among Noble’s recent talks is a TEDx presentation at UIUC, “In Pursuit of an Ethics of Information.”

Cecily Walker is Vancouver Public Library’s Assistant Manager for Community Digital Initiatives & eLearning, focusing on user experience, open data, social media, and the intersection of social issues, technology, and public librarianship. As she puts it: “It was my frustration with the way software was designed for the needs of programmers and highly technical users rather than the general public that led me to a career in user-centered design. It was my love of information, intellectual freedom, and service that pulled me back to librarianship.” Walker is a member of the editorial board of In the Library with the Lead Pipe and a recent host of #L1S, a tweet-chat for first-generation library professionals.

Chris Bourg, Ph.D. is Director of Libraries at MIT, with oversight of the MIT Press and related initiatives. She comes to MIT after a distinguished career in public services at Stanford University Library and on the faculty of the United States Military Academy at West Point, where she taught courses in leadership and sociology. Bourg is author of the long-running “Feral Librarian” blog and a number of scholarly publications, including (with Bess Sadler) the recent code4lib journal article, “Feminism and the Future of Library Discovery.”