[Humanist] 29.82 Nepal? National identity and digital humanities?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 9 13:24:52 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Domenico Fiormonte <domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com>         (43)
        Subject: Emergency Nepal 2015

  [2]   From:    Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>                   (37)
        Subject: The Big Humanities, National Identity and the Digital
                Humanities in Germany

        Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 12:38:17 +0200
        From: Domenico Fiormonte <domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com>

Dear colleagues and friends,

my work as teacher, researcher and digital humanist in recent years
has brought me into contact with a variety of cultural realities.
During these experiences I became progressively unable of drawing a
line between my academic activity as a scholar and my social
engagement as a humanist and social scientist. That's why I insisted
on asking Willard to send this email, although I realize it may sound
off-topic to some list members.

Since 2009 I have been involved with an Italian NPO working in India
and Nepal (http://www.ilmondodelleidee.it/?lang=en). In particular,
this NPO is concerned with education in a multicultural and
inter-religious world. Together with other volunteers of the NPO I
travelled to Katmandu and Pokhara in 2010 and 2012 and I had the
opportunity to admire the competence, passion and honesty of this
group of incredible people who are now gathering funds for a range of
initiatives connected to the recent earthquake.

I am aware that requests for help are constant, and it is not easy to
orient oneself, but if further reassurance is required, I personally,
taking advantage of a sabatical this year, will be in Nepal in October
to assist them in their work. Thus, I will be able to report back what
I have seen and the nature of our intervention.

Our friends and local collaborators are safe and sound, but the
effects of the second tremor two  weeks were devastating. Besides the
thousands of dead - we will never know the real figures, given the
"invisibility" of the poor - many stunning medieval sights in
Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur (the village where Bertolucci shot
Little Buddha) are now just rubble. It is as if an earthquake had
flattened Italian historical cities like Pisa, Arezzo e Siena all at
the same time. The Boudhanath Stupa, one of Tibetan Buddhism's most
important monuments, is now a pile of
stones. The same goes for many other UNESCO sites. To get an idea of
how things were and are now, have a look at the following photos:

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/04/26/3651327/nepal-earthquake/

You can find more information about the NPO (in English) here:
http://www.ilmondodelleidee.it/?lang=en

An interview (in Italian) about the present situation in Nepal with
Viola Padovani, the founder of the NPO, is available here:

http://vociglobali.it/2015/05/09/nepal-piccole-onlus-che-arrivano-dove-i-grandi-aiuti-si-fermano/

If you are interested in our ongoing aid iniatives, please contact me
off list or go to the web site.

Grateful for any small nugget of help you'll be able to provide...

Yours,

Domenico Fiormonte