[Humanist] 29.81 transcription training programme

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jun 5 06:27:49 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 13:12:18 +0100
        From: Colin Greenstreet <colin.greenstreet at googlemail.com>
        Subject: MarineLives Summer 2015 Transcription Training Programme

The MarineLives project team are running their popular (and free) ten week
transcription training programme again this summer. Volunteers will work in
teams of  three or four people, with each team supported by an experienced
facilitator. Teams will start in the week commencing June 22nd 2015 and
June 29th 2015.

Volunteers who have already signed up for this summer's programme include a
PhD candidate at the University of Tilburg in the Netherlands, a lecturer
in Early Modern History at Birkbeck College London, an Oxford undergraduate
historian, and a landscape historian who undertakes freelance historical
research.

Past volunteers include a former mariner with over twenty-five years
experience navigating the oceans, university students, advanced high school
students, archivists and a re-enactment enthusiast, and have been located
in the United States, Italy and Belgium as well as the United Kingdom

Volunteers will work from their homes or universities using our online
resources, which include digital images of manuscripts and wiki based
training material. Each team gets together weekly for a team Skype call or
Google hangout to discuss progress, to ask questions, and to set goals for
the following week.

In terms of the content we will be working on, we will tackle the
completion of HCA 13/124 (personal answers by the principal defendants in
Admiralty Court cases: http://www.marinelives.org/wiki/HCA_13/124) and may
also have a go at some of HCA 13/46 (and HCA Act Book:
http://www.marinelives.org/wiki/HCA_3/46) and HCA 13/73 (an HCA book of
depositions for 1659 and 1660: http://www.marinelives.org/wiki/HCA_13/73).

Please contact us to learn more about our summer training programme:
http://marinelives.org/wiki/Special:MarineLivesContact

You can read about the experience of past attendees on our summer programme
on our blog:

Roger Towner (a maritime regulator and former seafarer):
http://marinelives-theshippingnews.org/blog/2014/12/31/our-team-reflections-from-the-summer-programme-2014-part-1/

Katie Parker (a PhD candidate at the University of Pittsburgh):
http://marinelives-theshippingnews.org/blog/2015/01/11/our-team-reflections-from-the-2014-summer-programme-part-3/