[Humanist] 29.192 impediments to visualisation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 27 02:11:53 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Mace Ojala <ojala.mace.x at student.uta.fi>                  (58)
        Subject: Re:  29.55 impediments to visualisation

  [2]   From:    Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>                       (59)

        Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:13:14 +0200
        From: Mace Ojala <ojala.mace.x at student.uta.fi>

Dears Willard McCarty, Stan Ruecker and Paul Fishwick

I am studying information studies and interactive media at University of
Tampere (Finland), and doing an internship at Gent Center for Digital
Humanities, at University of Gent (Belgium). Hence, i'm skimming thru
some archives of the Humanist -mailinglist and saw your posts about
visualization, from May:

Willard:

    So many visualisations I have seen seem to stand as rhetorical Q.E.D.s,
    saying to us, "Behold!", but end more in puzzlement than reward us with
    understanding. Looking at some I wonder, e.g., why is this circular and not
    rectangular? Why are the elements in it uniformly distributed, not bunched
    up, or the other way around? What is this visualisation telling me? In one
    recent case a series of visualisations that I simply could not understand
    suddenly became brilliantly clear when the author of them explained her
    intent with a visual analogy. Before that analogy was supplied I was
    clueless, indeed was annoyed.

    Edward Tufte (originally an economic historian, I think) has written
    beautiful volumes on the subject. Has anyone here tried his or her hand with
    the rhetorics of visualisation or can cite particularly good examples?

Stan:

    The thinking about rhetoric in design has a reasonably good pedigree,
    and some of it applies to visualization [...]

Paul:

    I wrote a short blog post back in February on a related concern [...]

This is a great topic, and as Willard said, Edward Tufte's work is – for
me – the first go-to resource for thing about this. It took me a while
to get around to his style of writing, but his books are great
meditations on the topics, and are great at opening the mind for asking
for more questions.

I attended a one day workshop on data visualization at WÄRK:fest in
Helsinki (http://www.warkfest.org/en/) a couple of years ago, and the
workshop had a great idea that I have been trying to spread whenever
given a chance (e.g. prompted by your posts on Humanist). The workshop
went like so: all of the 4-5 teams had the same data, in this case a
small dataset of market dominance of a few wholesales networks in
Finland, and the same week there had been news covering the dataset,
indicating the structural duopoly these two networks are having and
exposing their tentacles of influence to various parts of the society.
This was not positive news. However in the workshop we worked for a day,
and the task was to present this as a positive story. We had to stay
absolutely true to to data, and not manipulate it. Only to build, a
present a narrative on the data, that we didn't believe in ourselves. I
was teamed with two graphic designers, and let me tell you those people
freak me out, their profession is visual manipulation and they were good
at it! That workshop was a priceless experience, maybe you can organize
something like that for yourselves too, to learn how to tell
conflicting, alternative narratives while still being true to the data.

When i see graphics, I try to remember the old wisdom "a picture is
worth a thousand words", and actually to stop and just stare at the
graphics for as much time as it would take me to read those 1000 words.
Being a slow reader, that's several minutes. Basically, i'm denying
graphics any timesaving function. That has been very useful rule-of-thumb.

Cheers

--
Mace Ojala (http://xmacex.wordpress.com, @xmacex, FB, LinkedIn, yms.)
Tampere University