[Humanist] 29.178 machines: reading, thinking, creating

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 01:11:43 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (58)
        Subject: Re:  29.174 machines: reading, thinking, creating

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (28)
        Subject: disenchantments

  [3]   From:    Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>                    (84)

        Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:48:18 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

Don:

To be sure, machines cannot yet ascend to the level of emergent complexity
> that we rather vaguely call
> creativity . . .

That was the full extent of my first point. Of course I can't predict what
machines will be able to do in the future.

My other point was about, in fact, the vagueness of the word "creativity."

But I'm curious why you think this is important:

"Indeed, are not our text-embedding initiatives, our cross-referenced
data bases, our multi-agent simulations of key historical events, our
digital collections of music, graphic and visual art, add whatever field
of humanities you like, are we now paving the way for the
disenchantment of the human?"

If we're the authors of our own disenchantment, our place in the cosmos
hasn't budged an inch. Why are we so important that we need to be knocked
down, and we must be very important indeed if only we can do it to
ourselves.

What I think we need to be is better curators, and more willing to enchant
everything else, not just ourselves. We can level things by cutting
everything down or by building everything up. Why go the former way?

Pat:

Thanks for asking. I realized after sending my post that I shouldn't have
used the "f-word" without explanation. The premise of the Turing test is
the ability of machine communication to be indistinguishable from human
communication by a human evaluator. I would say that the Turing test
becomes "fascist" when it is used to determine if the machine possesses
intelligence comparable to a human being because it assigns "intelligence"
according to the judgment of an outside evaluator. Whatever privileges,
rights, or recognition that go along with having human intelligence need to
be assigned not by external recognition but by the thing's very nature: in
other words, it doesn't have that recognition because we assign it, but
because we owe it that recognition due to the nature of its being.

This distinction may seem hair-splitting in practice, but I think not.
Thinking that we have the right to bestow recognition of intelligence upon
a thing -- and that it doesn't have it until we do -- is very different
from thinking we have the obligation to recognize intelligence anywhere
that it appears. I think this is the failure of the programmer in Ex
Machina, who like Victor Frankenstein primarily failed in his recognition
of his own responsibility to this new life. I would think that if the thing
doesn't *want* to be imprisoned we immediately have to ask if we have the
right to imprison it.

Don's mention of religion seems particularly appropriate at this point. One
European sect believed that cruelty to animals was acceptable because
animals don't have souls. But another way of thinking might be that we
shouldn't be cruel to animals because cruelty itself is bad regardless of
the object.

Jim R

--
Dr. James Rovira