[Humanist] 29.162 machines and reading?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 22:37:45 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:38:03 -0400 (EDT)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: Re:  29.150 machines, machines everywhere?

Willard,

I found interesting in your post about Falkowski's Life's Engines
(Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 29, No. 150.) that in the attempt to
imagine the multicellular machines the appeal was to mechanisms (levers
and gears). The invocation of Minsky had me wondering along more abstract
lines. I was intrigued by the multiple. How does this image of complex
behaviour arising out of the actions of automota jive with the humanist
subject, the united self that reads texts? Does it require a new way of
modeling the experience of reading?

Francois Lachance
Scholar-at-Large