[Humanist] 29.157 a Turing Test of creativity

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 10 23:38:09 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 17:52:29 -0400
        From: allen.riddell at dartmouth.edu
        Subject: Turing tests in creativity (short story, sonnet, and music competition)

The Neukom Institute at Dartmouth College is sponsoring a competition
designed to encourage the composition of software that generates
creative works (e.g., short stories, sonnets, and music):

----

The Neukom Institute for Computational Science at Dartmouth College is
pleased to announce the first annual Neukom Institute Prizes in
Computational Arts. These competitions aim to inspire innovations in
computational methods that generate artistic products, such as
literary, musical, and visual art.

https://math.dartmouth.edu/~turingtests/

- The "DigiLit" prize competition encourages the creation of algorithms
  able to produce a "human-level" short story of the kind that might be
  intended for a short story collection produced in a well-regarded MfA
  program or a piece for The New Yorker. The prize seeks to reward
  algorithms that could, for example, write stories for a creative
  writing class in which students are asked to submit a new short story
  each day.

- PoetiX is a completion in computer-generated sonnet writing. While,
  there are many forms of sonnet, for the purposes of the prize we are
  considering only '€œtraditional' sonnets: fourteen line poems, in iambic
  pentameter, in either 'Shakesperean' or 'œPetrarchan' form. The former
  is further characterized by an “abab cdcd efef gg” rhyme scheme, and
  the latter as an octet of rhyme scheme “abba abba” followed by a
  sestet with no fixed form.

- "AlgoRhythms" "AlgoRhythms" is a dance music Turing test for live
  DJ-ing, co-sponsored with Dartmouth College's Program in Digital
  Musics. We will find out whether we can tell the difference between
  humans and machines when it comes to selecting the music we want to
  hear and move to.

Submission deadline TBA (likely late 2015).