[Humanist] 29.147 A happy birthday to the Digital Dictionary of Buddhism!

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 7 21:35:06 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 20:10:36 +0900
        From: Charles Muller <acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
        Subject: The Digital Dictionary of Buddhism Turns 20 ! (Charles Muller)

Dear Colleagues,

Although I hesitate to talk in praise of my own project, I have been
encouraged by some of my collaborators to make an announcement of the
20th anniversary of the founding on the web of the Digital Dictionary of
Buddhism (http://www.buddhism-dict.net/ddb/) and the CJKV-English
Dictionary (http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dealt/). It may be the case
that the 20-year history of the project is of some historical note,
since it went online before the days of Internet Explorer, Google,
Wikipedia, and all of the modern social networking apps. We began an
eminently successful attempt at "crowd-sourcing" long before the term
came into vogue; the DDB has become recognized as a basic research tool
in the field, being subscribed to by more than 50 academic institutions
worldwide (http://www.buddhism-dict.net/ddb/subscribing_libraries.html);
and it continues to grow apace in its coverage of terminology, as new
collaborators and contributors continue to get involved. There are
probably not too many web resources out there that can claim this kind
of long and continuous history of growth and development. To properly
commemorate this occasion, I have rewritten the historical overview of
the project, available at
(http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dicts-intro.html). And I would like to
express my deep thanks to the hundreds of scholars who have contributed
to this project in large and small ways. We shall forge on ahead into
the future!

Best regards,

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan