[Humanist] 29.141 storytelling digitally

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 6 00:03:40 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 21:35:49 -0400
        From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 29.126 storytelling digitally

Willard,

The post 29.126 has been niggling at me for days. I originally want to
reply with a simple observation that the appeal to storytelling is cast in
such a way to avoid the complications of narration's relation to narrative
(the telling and the told; shown and said). But it was the theme of
"borrowing" from one domain by another that leads me to recall a
counter-narrative where there is no need to borrow between domains since
the military-industrial-entertainment complex is one entity.

I contend that fundamental to human interaction is narration:
attentiveness to how stories are related. Stories are for sorting and
storing. *Sometimes this soothes paranoia induced by too much
linearity.*

A while ago (1996), I explored recursivity and narrativity. My starting
point was the ability to ask questions (and learn from one's bodily
reactions). The musings may or may not have military relevance. Judge for
yourselves:

<quote>

Pedagogical situations are sensory.  They are also interpersonal.  Because
they are sensory this makes even learning by oneself interpersonal.
Egocentric speech is like a dialogue between the senses.  In Vygotsky's
and Luria's experiments, children placed in problem-solving situations
that were slightly too difficult for them displayed egocentric speech.
One could consider these as self-induced metadiscursive moments.  The self
in crisis will disassociate and one's questionning becomes the object of a
question.

Not only is the human self as a metabeing both fracturable and affiliable
in itself, it is also prone to narrativity.  That is, the human self will
project its self-making onto the world in order to generate stories from
sequences and to break stories into recombinant sequences.  Its operations
on signs are material practices with consequences for world-making.

The fracturable affiliable self calls for reproductive models suitable to
the interactions of multi-sensate beings, models that render dyads
dialectical, questionable, answerable.  Narrativity understood
dialectically does not merely mean making sequences or strings of events
into stories but also stories into things, strung together for more
stories.  From such an understanding, emerge non-dyadic narratives of
reproduction, narratives where a thing-born transforms itself into an
event, comes to understand itself as a process.

</quote>

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/S6D.HTM

Funny to consider that those remarks were based in a consideration of
language and feedback mechanisms. Make me think that the storytelling as
"potent form of emotional cueing" may be directed to undesired responses
such as greater self-reflexivity. And depending on how they are
parsed, Hollywood films can contribute to undesired responses including
escape. :)

Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

to think is often to sort, to store and to shuffle: humble, embodied tasks