[Humanist] 29.137 growing it differently in different places?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 4 10:34:00 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 16:45:47 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: growing it in different soils

One question that began to preoccupy me at the recent Digital Humanities
2015 conference in Sydney was the growth of the discipline in different
cultures and places. It seems to me that unlike the natural sciences
this discipline has the potential to diversify under different
conditions: not one set of techniques and practices instantiated
everywhere from an Anglo-American model but diverse forms which answer
to local culture. So the way to begin (or to start all over) is to
ask e.g. what a text is in each instance, what scholars have done with
it and so forth. We speak of a universal language of mathematics that
makes the mathematized sciences the same everywhere. Insofar as
computing is mathematical perhaps we can say the same about it, but at
its intersection with human cultural expressions the local intrudes and
changes the game. Isn't it a genuine question what digital humanities
should look like in each of the locales where it has begun?

Is there any evidence that digital humanities is diversifying locally or
that practitioners in various parts of the globe are making an attempt to
realise the differences?

Group, University of Western Sydney