[Humanist] 28.747 MA regulations? licensing and IPR?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 07:40:52 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>     (31)
        Subject: Licenses and IPR of stacks and derivatives of datasets

  [2]   From:    Stéfan Sinclair <sgsinclair at gmail.com>                   (12)
        Subject: regulations for M.A. in DH theses and projects

        Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:36:01 +0100
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>

Dear colleagues,

I have never ventured into the realms of IPR and licensing of digital data,
as I seem to recall various big warning signs indicating that that off ramp
led straight to hell. But on behalf of a colleague of mine I would like to
call on Humanist's collective wisdom to hear what the best inroads are into
this topic.

We are wondering about a particular issue which is: if you combine several
digital data sets that may have various forms of licenses, of which some
have been curated and amended by you, and you derive a combined data set
(which might be exhaustive or selective), and then some remote client is
used by a third—or maybe even fourth—party to build an end user service
upon… Still with me? Then we are likely in a situation where several
licenses and IPR issues have been stacked. Of course to all good intend and
purpose, but maybe not according to what's legal?

Does anyone have good suggestions on where to start familiarizing oneself
with these kind of digital IPR issues and what legal issues one may
encounter?

Thanks for all pointers
All the best
--Joris

--
Drs. Joris J. van Zundert

*Researcher & Developer Digital and Computational Humanities*
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands

*Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences*
 http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/
http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/
 http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/?lang=en

-------

*Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.Mr. Gibbs:
We figured they were more actual guidelines.*