[Humanist] 28.740 of events you can't get to

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 07:39:22 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "James R. Kelly" <jrkelly at library.umass.edu>              (56)
        Subject: Re:  28.739 of events you can't get to

  [2]   From:    Mark Horney <mhorney at uoregon.edu>                         (48)

        Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:27:59 -0500
        From: "James R. Kelly" <jrkelly at library.umass.edu>

As a corollary to Willard's comment below, I would mention our local
Montague (Mass.) Bookmill which proudly banners itself (on bumper
stickers too) as the business with "Books You Don't Need in a Place
You Can't Find"!.

Best,

Jim Kelly

Quoting Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>:

>                  Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 28, No. 739.
>

>         Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 06:34:55 +0000
>         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
>         Subject: of events you can't get to
>
> I recall in the early days of internet advertising a take-away pizza
> place in Vienna that put a notice on their website pleading with people
> who lived well outside of Vienna (say in Cambridge, Massachusetts)
> PLEASE not to order pizzas for delivery!
>
> So, you may sometimes wonder in frustration, what's the point of
> advertising local events on Humanist? While it is true that Londoners,
> New Yorkers and others in big cities can attract locals to attend their
> events by posting notices on Humanist, the point for me is to give
> everyone a more or less representative sampling of what's going on in
> the world in digital humanities. Where are the hotspots, where the new
> locations? What are people meeting to talk about?
>
> I now recall, however, that my brother, who lives in California, has
> been known to order from a place in Manhattan a particularly
> delicious cheesecake, which, he swears, has subsequently (I think
> the next day) actually arrived.
>
> Yours,
> WM
> Humanities, King's College London, and Digital Humanities Research
> Group, University of Western Sydney

James R. Kelly
Humanities Research Services Librarian
W.E.B. Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts
154 Hicks Way
Amherst, MA 01003-9275

(413) 545-3981; (413) 577-1536 (fax)
E-mail: jrkelly at library.umass.edu

Distinguished Bibliographer, Modern Language Assn. International
Bibliography; Adjunct faculty: UMass German & Scandinavian Studies,
Simmons College School of Library and Information Science; Slavic
Cataloger, Amherst College