[Humanist] 28.739 of events you can't get to

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 17 07:46:32 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 06:34:55 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: of events you can't get to

I recall in the early days of internet advertising a take-away pizza
place in Vienna that put a notice on their website pleading with people
who lived well outside of Vienna (say in Cambridge, Massachusetts)
PLEASE not to order pizzas for delivery!

So, you may sometimes wonder in frustration, what's the point of
advertising local events on Humanist? While it is true that Londoners,
New Yorkers and others in big cities can attract locals to attend their
events by posting notices on Humanist, the point for me is to give
everyone a more or less representative sampling of what's going on in
the world in digital humanities. Where are the hotspots, where the new
locations? What are people meeting to talk about?

I now recall, however, that my brother, who lives in California, has
been known to order from a place in Manhattan a particularly
delicious cheesecake, which, he swears, has subsequently (I think
the next day) actually arrived.

Group, University of Western Sydney