[Humanist] 28.709 what's there? a tool for network graphs?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Feb 6 07:23:41 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (18)
        Subject: how important is what's there?

  [2]   From:    Marten Düring <martenduering at gmail.com>                  (22)
        Subject: Network visualizations and storytelling?

        Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:26:46 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

In "What He Could Bear", in the London Review of Books for 9 March 2006,
commenting on British poet John Burnside's A Lie About My Father (2006),
Hilary Mantel asks the following question:

> What is the creative work we do in the world, but the habit and
> mental trick of listening to one thing and hearing another, of
> looking at an object and seeing its nimbus or else its crystalline
> form? Or the habit of ensouling shadows, endowing something glimpsed
> with a history and a name?

And my question is this: if with our digital device we achieve a more
accurate means of listening or looking or glimpsing, then is "the
creative work we do in the world" made better?

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney