[Humanist] 28.688 text-mining

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 1 08:59:11 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 09:41:26 -0800
        From: Stéfan Sinclair <sgsinclair at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: text mining (Vol 76, Issue 28)

Dear Drew,

I'd encourage you to have a look at The Programming Historian if you haven't already: http://programminghistorian.org/.

Another fantastic resource is "Text Analysis with Topic Models for the Humanities and Social Sciences": https://de.dariah.eu/tatom/.

Another link of interest is the Methods Commons http://hermeneuti.ca/methods, which contains a set of recipes (the tools mentioned aren't always functional, but the recipes are more about conceptual tasks anyway).

I'm also in the process of writing, with Geoffrey Rockwell, an introductory guide to Literary Text Mining with iPython: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/sgsinclair/alta/blob/master/ipynb/ArtOfLiteraryTextAnalysis.ipynb. I'm filling this in during the winter term, so it's definitely a work in progress. There are a ton of guides out there and we hope to orient this one more closely to humanistic perspectives (even if the first version may be more mechanical than we hope later revisions will be).

Stéfan

--

Prof. Stéfan Sinclair, Digital Humanities, McGill University
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures