[Humanist] 29.586 editing / annotating stylized oral discourse?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 30 10:59:48 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:03:09 +0100
        From: Catharine Mason <cmason.nc at gmail.com>
        Subject: Editing/ Annotating Stylized Oral Discourse

Hello,

Some of you may have heard of VOVA, a network of linguists,
anthropologists, and literature scholars designing a platform for editing
and annotating vocal and verbal art performance "texts" www.vovarts.org.
Our methods are varied and incorporate a number of schools in
ethnolinguistics, ethnopoetics, folklore, etc.

There are many archives and databases documenting particular oral
traditions, especially in indigenous languages. Our goal is to develop
software that will allow us to pursue "comparative oral stylistics," thus
to handle any and all languages, and to

I try to keep up with the Humanist Discussion Group, watching out for
similar projects, but it is possible that some have gotten past me.  If you
are involved in study of speech styles, oral stylistics, and/ or oral
poetries, please contact me. Or if you know anyone who might be interested,
please pass on my message.

Also, we have not started coding anything other than a couple of MySQL
databases. It seems obvious that our editing software would utilize TEI,
but I have seen messages that suggest there are other solutions.  I would
be ever so grateful for any and all suggestions!

Many thanks!

Catharine

--
Associate Professor of English and Linguistic Ethnography
Université de Caen-Basse Normandie

President of VOVA, Inc.
www.vovarts.org
1924 6th Street