[Humanist] 29.582 text-analysis for annotation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Dec 27 10:46:32 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:59:17 +0000
        From: Jonathan Reeve <jon.reeve at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  29.575 text-analysis for annotation?

Dear Alexandre,

The idea of programmatically generating annotations and contributing to the
Semantic Web is utterly fascinating, and totally doable. You should do it!

My advice would be to learn a scripting language like Python, and start
coding it up. What you're suggesting doesn't require a computer science
background, and you can teach yourself almost all you need to know on
CodeCademy if you have a week or two off. Voyant Tools is an end-user
product, as are most of the tools listed on TAPoR, but a project like this
needs text analysis programming libraries, and not end-user applications,
since the various software packages you'll use need to talk to each other
more than they need a web interface.

But you don't even really need to program if you can get the right people
interested in the project. Why not start a repository for the project on
GitHub, and invite a few NLP programmers to contribute?

Hypothesis has an API that you can use to enter your annotations
programmatically. Their text location syntax is not super-well documented
(as they admit themselves), but it's easy to figure out if you take a close
look at some of the responses. Once you can scrape together the types of
annotations you want, you can programmatically enter them on Hypothesis.
I'm not aware of a Hypothesis to Semantic Web pipeline, or a Hypothesis
to/from TEI pipeline, but this sounds like a great endeavor. You could
fairly easily put together something in Python that reads annotations from
TEI and generates Hypothesis annotations for them, or vice-versa.

I just did some experiments with annotation in TEI, myself, here:

http://jonreeve.com/projects/garden-party/

It uses "interp" tags to annotate segments of text, not unlike what Barthes
does in S/Z. From there, the interpretations are translated to HTML with
XSLT, and made interactive with some light jQuery. The code for the
project, including the TEI XML, can be found here:
https://github.com/JonathanReeve/corpus-mansfield-garden-party-TEI.

I'm not very familiar with RDF, Federated Wiki, or ePUB3. Perhaps someone
else here could chime in about those?

Hope that helps,

-Jonathan
http://jonreeve.com

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 1:23 AM Humanist Discussion Group <