[Humanist] 29.569 solstitial darkness and Christmas cheer

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Dec 21 10:00:41 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 08:41:39 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: solstitial darkness and Christmas cheer

Dear colleagues,

Since 1987, with a brief hiatus (when Humanist was Canadian) I've sent
a message at this time of year on behalf of us all to wish all of us the
best of the solstice, the winter one for those of us in the Northern
Hemisphere, the summer for those of us in the Southern. A few here will
not need to be told the brief history of these notes, but the great
majority will by this point in the reading of this one, I hope, no
longer be puzzled. To invoke something the British do supremely well,
this was once for everyone a cozy message from the cold and dark of the
solstice to others enjoying the same conditions. But now we are much
more numerous and widely scattered, some celebrating the time of year in
the heat of Christmas, even on the beach. (I recall the shock when,
reading Kate Grenville's The Idea of Perfection for the first time,
encountering that phrase, "the heat of Christmas"; it has stood the test
of time as for me the marker of difference such global distance makes.
Distance that, I hope, this and other postings from Humanist partially
overcome.)

Then, too, Humanist was the only means of the few in digital humanities
to communicate with each other. Now there are many ways, most of which
(to show my age and inclinations) I have only heard of and determinedly
not exercised. In spite of those many ways Humanist continues to grow.

We have, I think, spent far too much energy arguing over what to call
the field that Humanist was created to serve. I don't think, however,
that anyone has yet reflected on the great flexibility of the current
term, "digital humanities", which can be both singular and plural.
"Humanities computing" had the advantage of being rather more obviously
(as one Australian immigration officer, curious about what I did for a
living, remarked humorously to me) an oxymoron. I remain convinced that
our discipline is built on a fruitful contradiction, which is to say
that its genius is kept alive by the via negativa of algorithmic
reasoning -- hence as some wisely insist, the necessity to have or to
have had one's hands into coding. But the stubbornness of "digital
humanities" in reminding us of the simultaneous unity and diversity of
the field is indeed also a great gift.

Forgive the philological musings. A brief time in childhood and a longer
in parenthood have schooled me to put and find gifts under a tree at
this time of year, to participate in a wrapping up and unwrapping and to
go on celebrating as long as possible. So here we are. In one of the
following messages, for example, will be an announcement of research
associate positions in the Digital Humanities Research Group at Western
Sydney University. And more quietly, unannounced here, are other signs
of vigorous growth of digital humanities in Australia. The field grows
everywhere it has been planted. Major branches are pushing out.

Diversity is insistent. I find the biological metaphor useful, since for
one thing it reminds us that life is insistent, finding a way in stony
ground (as it was in 1987 for anyone humanist associated with
computing). But in the cultural arena of disciplines the metaphor can
mislead us into thinking that this disciplinary growth happens all by
itself, independent of what we do, and that just isn't so. Diversity must
be insisted on, helped, guided. In Chance and Necessity geneticist
Jacques Monod brilliantly works out an elegant mechanism for life,
describing three major properties: teleonomy (orientation to an end),
autonomous morphogenesis (generation of new forms) and
reproductive invariance (preservation of a specific structural standard),
or in the terms of this note, the future we desire, the diversity we insist
on through disagreement and political initiatives and the unity we must
struggle to maintain. This, it seems, is an age when diversity, even
incommensurable separateness dominates the attention. It's a
counterbalancing, of course. But when it takes the form of the
revolutionary, catastrophic "post-" malady, which identifies a radical
turning point and denies historical continuities, we must put weight in
the opposite pan. For the moment at least the imperative, I'd think, is to
recover and exhibit those continuities, that unity.

Isn't this what Christmas and other solstitial holidays can accomplish?
So, chucking off the moralizing, allow me in a celebratory spirit,
without politics, to wish you a happy time and a very fine New Year --
in May the start of Humanist's 31st!

Group, Western Sydney University