[Humanist] 29.568 pubs: preservation of new media art

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Dec 19 10:06:26 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 13:03:32 +0000
        From: Oya Yildirim Rieger <oyr1 at cornell.edu>
        Subject: Preserving and Emulating Digital Art Objects White Paper

Dear Colleagues,

Despite its "new" label, new media art has a rich 40-year history, making obsolescence and loss of cultural history an imminent risk. As a range of new media are integrated in art works, these creative objects are becoming increasingly complex and vulnerable due to dependence on many technical and contextual factors. However, no archival best practices yet exist for accessing and preserving complex born-digital materials. In 2013, Cornell University Library received a 2-year research and development grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to design a framework for preserving access to digital art objects. We are pleased to announce the publication of a white paper that describes the project's findings, discoveries, and challenges:

http://hdl.handle.net/1813/41368

Recognizing that we must develop a framework that addresses the needs of future as well as current media art researchers, we developed a survey targeting researcher, artists, and curators to expand our understanding of user profiles and use cases. Based on findings and insights gained, we investigated emulation as an access strategy. Although the initiative focused on new media art, we hope that our methodologies and findings will inform other types of complex born-digital collections as well. We welcome your questions and comments.

Best regards,

Oya

On behalf of the project team

Oya Y. Rieger, Ph.D.
Associate University Librarian
arXiv Program Director
Scholarly Resources & Preservation Services
Cornell University Library