[Humanist] 29.564 the guilty humility of objective fact

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Dec 19 10:00:02 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:02:34 -0500 (EST)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: guilty humility of objective fact

Willard,

Your recent provocations surrounding the status of artefacts and facts via
the technical changes in photographic capture had me thinking about the
line between knowing and believing. And here I call upon the poet Robert
Duncan to assist:

<quote>
Science can no more <i>deny</i> that there is something to "know" and that
knowledge stands for a worth, than can religion <i>deny</i> that there is
something to worship.
</quote>

from Robert Duncan, As Testimony (San Francisco: White Rabbit Press, 1964)

Of course this introduces the problem of idols...

--
Francois Lachance
Scholar-at-large