[Humanist] 29.538 events: linked linguistic data; digital libraries

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 9 09:08:24 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Kiril Simov" <kivs at bultreebank.org>                      (73)
        Subject: Call for Papers: 5th Workshop on Linked Data in Linguistics
                (LDL-2016): Managing, Building and Using Linked Language
                Resources

  [2]   From:    Richard Furuta <furuta at cse.tamu.edu>                      (19)
        Subject: Joint Conference on Digital Libraries 2016--Announcement and
                call for papers

        Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 16:47:32 +0200
        From: "Kiril Simov" <kivs at bultreebank.org>
        Subject: Call for Papers: 5th Workshop on Linked Data in Linguistics (LDL-2016): Managing, Building and Using Linked Language Resources

Call for Papers:
5th Workshop on Linked Data in Linguistics (LDL-2016):
Managing, Building and Using Linked Language Resources

Portorož, Slovenia, 24th May 2016. Co-located with LREC 2016

Website: http://ldl2016.linguistic-lod.org/
Submission Deadline : February 8th 2016

Publishing language resources under open licenses and linking them together
has been an area of increasing interest in academic circles, including
applied linguistics, lexicography, natural language processing and
information technology. It facilitates the exchange of knowledge and
information across disciplines as well as between academia and the IT
business. By collocating the 5th edition of the workshop series with LREC
2016, we encourage this interdisciplinary community to present and to
discuss use cases, experiences, best practices, recommendations and
technologies among each other and in interaction with the language resource
community. We particularly invite contributions discussing the application
of the Linked Open Data paradigm to linguistic data as it might provide an
important step towards making linguistic data: i) easily and uniformly
queryable, ii) interoperable and iii) sharable over the Web using open
standards such as the HTTP protocol and the RDF data model. While it has
been shown that Linked Data has significant value for the management of
language resources in the Web, the practice is still far from being an
accepted standard in the community. Thus, it is important that we continue
to push the development and adoption of Linked Data technologies among
creators of language resources. In particular, Linked Data’s ability to
increase the quality, interoperability and availability of data on the Web
has lead us to focus on managing, improving and using language resources on
the Web as a key focus for this year’s workshop.

We invite presentations of algorithms, methodologies, experiments, use
cases, project proposals and position papers regarding the creation,
publication or application of linguistic data collections and their linking
with other resources, as well as descriptions of such data. This includes,
but is not limited to, the following:

* Building linked language resources** Novel vocabularies for describing linguistic objects using RDF.
** Metrics and methodologies to develop linked language resources on the
Web.
** Natural language processing methods to enhance Linked Open Data.
* Managing linked language resources
** Creating, maintaining and accessing language resource infrastructures
based on Linked Data.
** Metadata linking and curation for language resources on the Web.
** Best practices for publication and linking of multilingual knowledge
resources.
* Using linked language resources
** Application of Linked Open Data for linguistics, digital humanities and
natural language processing.
** Addressing challenges of scalability, multilinguality and
interoperability in the Web.
** Legal, social and scientific aspects of Linguistic Linked Open Data.

We invite both long (8 pages plus 2 pages of references, formatted according
to the LREC guidelines) and short papers (4 pages plus 2 pages of
references) representing original research, innovative approaches and
resource types, use cases or in-depth discussions. Short papers may also
represent project proposals, work in progress or data set descriptions.
Papers will be published as part of the LREC workshop proceedings and
presented as oral or poster presentations, as appropriate.

Datasets
------------
We encourage submission of datasets and ask that these resources are
included in the LLOD cloud (instructions can be found here). As such we
require that datasets are either described in Datahub with sufficient
metadata to be added to the cloud. In addition, as part of the LREC
conference your resource will be described in the LRE Map and assigned an
International Standard Language Resource Number (ISLRN, www.islrn.org), a
Persistent Unique Identifier to be assigned to each Language Resource.

Important Dates
Submission Deadline : February 8th 2016
Notification of Acceptance: March 10th 2016
Camera-Ready: March 24th 2016
Workshop: May 24th 2016

[...]