[Humanist] 29.235 associative links & large arrays

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 25 07:07:12 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 15:46:24 -0400
        From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
        Subject: Associative Links and Large Arrays

Willard,

The recent contest/context of analogies in the paper about
America-race-modularity-Unix came to mind (again) when I was reading a
description from Paul Stewart's book on Samuel Beckett, Zones of
Evaporation. He observes:

<quote>
It is perhaps worth noticing that as soon as a differne text is broughht
into the discussion [...] it acts as an opening of the floodgates and
admits a host of other related texts. This is in part testimony to certain
continuing concerns in Beckett's work with almost become motifs, yet it
also proses problems for the critic. If one were to follow every
associative link across a large array of texts one would be closer to
providing a concordance than an interpretation.
</quote>

The jump from interpretation to concordance has a peculiar resonance
in the context of text analysis. Stewart continues: "As a critic, one
feels that one either writes too little or too much, and never, simply,
enough." I hope I have quoted just enough to give you a bit of the
flavour of complexity.

Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

to think is often to sort, to store and to shuffle: humble, embodied tasks