[Humanist] 29.234 teaching serious reading?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 25 07:05:04 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 19:11:39 -0700
        From: "Jim O'Donnell" <jod at asu.edu>
        Subject: learning to read

Doctissimae doctissimique,

I'm looking for universities or colleges that are doing anything
interesting with teaching students to read.  I don't mean in the first
instance normal "remedial" reading, but rather organized work --
inside traditional courses or outside -- that focuses on the habits,
techniques, and predilections of what I might call the serious reader.
Acquiring the skills that let you read Spenser or George Eliot or Max
Weber, and in the process helping students *feel* that such activity
is normal and desirable and comfortable.

Jim O'Donnell
Arizona State University