[Humanist] 29.220 events: digital humanities, post-theory & comp lit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 18 07:13:23 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 06:42:14 -0500
        From: Sayan Bhattacharyya <bhattach at umich.edu>
        Subject: CFP: Digital Humanities and Comparative Literature; was: the end of Digital Humanities

> Although DH is considered by many to constitute a fairly radical break
> with the "theory era" in the humanities, it may be a lingering effect of
> certain strands of poststructuralism, etc. that we're constantly looking at
>  our tools & reviewing our roles in social & political realms.

On a somewhat related note, a seminar that  Fatma Tarlaci and I are
organizing a at next year's annual conference of the American Comparative
Literature Association (to be held at Harvard University, March 17-20, 2016)
may be of possible interest. DH as "post-theory" is one of the things that
we are interested in....

Our call for papers for the seminar went live at the ACLA website a few
weeks ago — the link is:

http://www.acla.org/seminar/what-do-comparative-literature-and-digital-humanities-have-say-each-other

The full text of our CFP is below.

What do Comparative Literature and Digital Humanities have to say to each
other?

Organizers:

Sayan Bhattacharyya, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
(sayan at illinois.edu), Fatma Tarlaci, University of Texas, Austin
(ftarlaci at utexas.edu)

As the controversially dubbed Digital Humanities comes to occupy an
increasingly prominent and brightly-lit spot amidst the gloomy and
crisis-ridden landscape of today’s humanities fields, it seems to
resemble, more and more, a Rorschach test. Some see Digital Humanities as
the stalking-horse of a predatory neoliberalism seeking to colonize the
academy by displacing the critical function of the humanities with
techno-optimist cheerleading, while others advance a redemptive narrative in
which the destiny of Digital Humanities is to recover for the humanities
their lost former centrality in the world of ideas.

Whatever the reason, Comparative literature as a field of inquiry has not
had as much engagement with Digital Humanities as some other humanities
disciplines recently have. However, a fertile ground may well exist for a
deep critical engagement of Comparative Literature with Digital Humanities
— given, on the one hand, the interdisciplinary nature of Comparative
Literature and the acknowledgement of multiplicity that underlies
Comparative Literature’s  normative foundations, and, on the other hand,
the emphasis, in Digital Humanities, on multimodality (as in distant/close,
visual/narrational, *et cetera*) as central to reading and interpretation.

We seek papers that interrogate the terms of such potential engagement in
both directions. Of special interest are papers that highlight methods and
approaches particular to Comparative Literature that could help both to
enrich Digital Humanities and to critique the implicit and unstated
assumptions of Digital Humanities; or delineate the ways in which Digital
Humanities could be a source of new metaphors that enliven and reinvigorate
high theory — including pedagogically — in the so-called
“post-theory” era.

————————————

As the ACLA website,
<http://www.acla.org/annual-meeting/about-annual-meeting>,  says,
"Individuals interested in participating in a particular seminar are
encouraged to be in touch with the organizers over the summer; paper
submissions through the [ACLA] portal will open Sept. 1 and close Sept. 23."

We encourage those interested in the topic to consider submitting a paperproposal!

Thank you,
Sayan

——
Sayan Bhattacharyya