[Humanist] 29.213 events: The Word Lab at UPenn

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Aug 13 08:56:50 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:14:14 -0400
        From: Molly Des Jardin <mdesjardin at gmail.com>
        Subject: UPenn Libraries' WORD LAB Research Community - Kick-off September 8

You’re invited to WORD LAB's first meeting of the 2015 academic year on
Tuesday, September 8, from 1:30-3 in Vitale II (room 623 of Van Pelt
Library). WORD LAB is a group at Penn Libraries that gathers together
colleagues from across the university who are interested in computational
text analysis of all kinds. Our agenda is determined by the group and
reflects our diverse interests. To see what we did last year, visit
upennwordlab.org.

WORD LAB meets every Tuesday, starting September 8, from 1:30-3pm in Van
Pelt Library's Vitale II room (623). These meetings are a place for
colleagues to share research, methodologies, questions, and new
developments in computational text analysis. Right now, we have a weekly
rotating schedule: a research presentation and group discussion; a reading
group; and group study of Python for text analysis with the book _Natural
Language Processing with Python_.

Our upcoming events include:

* September 8: Kick off and introductions

* September 15: Articles by Merriman, McMillan Cottom, and Goldstone (see
website)

* September 22: Glen Worthey (Stanford; humanities text analysis)

* September 29: Python session (NLTK)

* October 6: Articles by Underwood and Forster (see website)

* October 13: Python session (NLTK)

* October 20: Aaron Plasek (NYU; principal component analysis)

For more information, please contact Katie Rawson (krawson at upenn.edu
<krawson at pobox.upenn.edu>) or Molly Des Jardin (mollydes at upenn.edu). You
can also check out our website at http://upennwordlab.org or just come to
our meetings -- no registration is ever necessary and all are welcome.
Email Molly to join our mailing list. WORD LAB can be found at:

University of Pennsylvania Van Pelt Library

Room 623 (6th floor)

3420 Walnut St.

Philadelphia, PA 19104