[Humanist] 29.199 novelty and kinships (a correction)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Aug 9 08:32:38 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:34:33 -0400
        From: Matthew Battles <matthew at metalab.harvard.edu>
        Subject: Re:  29.188 novelty and kinships?

I'm following up to correct my sourcing of the James quote: I have it from
Bruno Latour, in remarks he recently made collected here
<http://www.bruno-latour.fr/sites/default/files/downloads/00-BREAKTHROUGH-06-15_0.pdf>
.
The quote in question comes from James's A Pluralistic Universe (1909);
here's the passage that follows, for further context:

> nature is but a name for excess; every point in her opens out and runs into
> the more; and the only question, with reference to any point we may be
> considering, is how far into the rest of nature we may have to go in order
> to get entirely beyond its overflow. In the pulse of inner life immediately
> present now in each of us is a little past, a little future, a little
> awareness of our own body, of each other's persons, of these sublimities we
> are trying to talk about, of the earth's geography and the direction of
> history, of truth and error, of good and bad, and of who knows how much
> more?

​I thought I had it from John Law because much of Law's work ​limns the
dappled, noncompossible realities of various sociotechnical systems and
milieux. Of course, he takes up with Latour on this trajectory—a path
that's useful for any digital humanities that acknowledges that things in
the cultural realm, too, "open out and run into the more."