[Humanist] 28.361 lossy vs the dream of lossless

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 29 07:14:56 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:57:14 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: lossy digitization vs the dream of lossless

For reasons of my own having to do with many CDs and new means of
hearing the music recorded on them, I went (of course) online to
discover which format might be best -- mp3, flac, aiff, wav, m4a and so
on. It was a question in the first instance of getting software and
hardware to work together; the equipment I have wouldn't recognize the
format I started out with (aiff). Anyhow I came across a very helpful
essay by one Mitchco, who seems to be not only clever and persistent but
also well equipped with all the right kit and technical knowledge.

Once I had determined what to do from his series of tests, I found his
concluding reflections on the problems of (music) digitization telling:

> What is most important to me is the erosion of original performances
> where the original master is gone and we don't have an unaltered
> waveform of a "new" master. All those analog tapes are eventually
> going to fall apart. I hope we have unaltered waveform copies. I
> understand that famous paintings undergo restorations. But even then,
> the restorers are trying to restore the painting to its original
> condition.
>
> That does not seem to be happening in the music remastering world.
> Those works of art are being altered, some so bad that it does not
> even resemble what the artist had in mind. The bands dynamics,
> nuances, soundstage, tone, have all been altered to the point of
> ruin.

As someone who is personally benefiting from the unloading of books by
libraries, I assume at least in some cases because of the easy
assumption that 'everything's going to be online real soon now' or
similar, I am often reminded to worry. There is an ethical dimension to
our practices. Are we paying attention? Isn't the problem our tendency
to think in terms of replacement rather than augmentation?

For Mitchco's essay see
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/flac-vs-wav-vs-mp3-vs-m4a-experiment-94/.

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney