[Humanist] 28.360 everything and nothing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 29 07:12:51 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:02:13 +0300
        From: Øyvind Eide <lister at oeide.no>
        Subject: Re:  28.355 everything and nothing

Dear Tim and Willard,

The future of the humanities is analogue. Therefore, digital humanities will still be around for a long time.

When I see a video of a dance performance the digital signals on my video player (which is my computer) is analogised for me to see them (what we used to call a DA converter, in contrast to the AD converter digitising analogue signals). When I listen to my computer's speech synthesiser reading a Humanist message out loud to me I hear an analogue signal. Much of the digital world I experience I meet only in analogue form.

For many scholars in the humanities the focus is on what happens between them and analogue signals, no matter if the signals are created based on digital signals. The ones of us more or a little less focused on what happens while the signals are digital are called digital humanists.

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide