[Humanist] 28.359 Digital Humanities Summer Institute 2015

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Sep 28 09:02:54 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:23:10 +0000
        From: Ray Siemens <siemens at uvic.ca>
        Subject: 2015 Digital Humanities Summer Institute (June 2015, U Victoria)

DHSI 2015
June 2015: 1-5, 8-12, 15-19
http://dhsi.org/

Dear Colleagues,

We’re very pleased to announce the 2015 Digital Humanities Summer
Institute!

The Digital Humanities Summer Institute provides an ideal environment for
discussing and learning about new computing technologies and how they are
influencing teaching, research, dissemination, creation, and preservation
in different disciplines, via a community-based approach.

A time of intensive coursework, seminars, and lectures, participants at
DHSI share ideas and methods, and develop expertise in using advanced
technologies. Every summer, the institute brings together faculty, staff,
and students from the Arts, Humanities, Library, and Archives communities
as well as independent scholars and participants from areas beyond.

Described by one participant as an event that "combines the best aspects
of a skills workshop, international conference, and summer camp," the DHSI
prides itself on its friendly, informal, and collegial atmosphere. We
invite you to join the DHSI community in Victoria for a time of focused
practice, learning, and connecting with (and making new) friends and
colleagues.

  Fabulous 2015 Offerings (Registration & Scholarships)

Offerings for 2015 are the result of consultation with our community about
the topics and material we'd all like to see covered at DHSI now and in
the future, as well as a call for proposals for courses among members of
our community.  This year, we're able to have a number of additional
courses on offer and, overall, smaller class sizes to facilitate better
our learning together! As well, following DHSIers’ suggestions, there is
also the opportunity to take more than one course, by having several
fabulous DHSI offerings during the weeks just before (1-5 June) and after
(15-19 June) DHSI’s core week of 8-12 June.

At the moment, preparations for 2015 are already humming along in
Victoria, and our 'quiet' launch of our registration earlier has resulted
in courses beginning to fill ... even a bit ahead of anticipated schedule.
 As in the past: if there's a course you or a member of your team
absolutely must have, we’d recommend registration earlier rather than
later for it!

If you've not yet seen the list of 2015 course offerings (at
http://dhsi.org/courses.php; also below) and our schedule (at
http://dhsi.org/schedule.php), we'd really encourage you to do so.  We’re
pretty excited about it!  And, in addition to a great mix of classic
courses and new ones recommended by our community, we've got some great
talks planned by, among others, David Hoover (NYU), Claire Warwick (U
Durham), Malte Rehbein (U Passau), and Constance Crompton (UBC-Okanagan)
-- as well as our DHSI Colloquium, lunchtime unconference sessions,
birds-of-a-feather gatherings, and much more!

Further, as we do every year, we'll have the pleasure of awarding a number
of tuition scholarships.  Application is via
http://dhsi.org/scholarships.php, and these scholarships cover tuition
costs with the exception of a small, non-refundable administration fee
(students $150, non-students $300).  The absolute deadline to apply for
scholarships is 14 February, though the scholarship committee considers
applications on a regular, rolling basis and evaluates applications based
on need, merit, and course availability at the time of evaluation;
scholarship spots tend to fill exceptionally quickly.  We’re also very
pleased to be working with ACH and GO::DH for sponsored travel bursaries
(!); details on our website.

- To register for a 2015 DHSI course: http://dhsi.org/courses.php
- To apply for a tuition fellowship: http://dhsi.org/scholarships.php

  Wonderful Partners and Sponsors

We're very, very happy to welcome and work with our new and returning
partners and sponsors last year and this -- among them the University of
Victoria and its Library, the University of British Columbia Library,
University of British Columbia Okanagan, the Simon Fraser University
Library, the Canadian Centre for Studies in Publishing (Publishing at SFU),
the Innovation Lab @ VIU Cowichan and Vancouver Island University, the
Simpson Center for the Humanities at University of Washington, the Pacific
Northwest Colleges Consortium, the College of Arts at University of
Guelph, the Centre for Digital Humanities in the Faculty of Arts at
Ryerson University, English, North Carolina State University, Hamilton
College DHi, Bucknell University, Texas A&M University, NYU English, CUNY
Graduate Center, CulturePlex @ Western U, and the Digital Humanities Group
at UC Berkeley;  project partners and sponsors including the Editing
Modernism in Canada (EMiC) project, the Modernist Versions Project (MVP),
NINES, the Advanced Research Consortium (ARC), the Canadian Writing
Research Collaboratory / Le Collaboratoire scientifique des écrits du
Canada (CWRC/CSÉC), the Lesbian and Gay Liberation in Canada (LGLC)
project, the TEI Archiving Publishing and Access Service (TAPAS) project ,
the LINCS partnership, and the Implementing New Knowledge Environments
(INKE) project; and organisational partners and sponsors including the
Alliance of Digital Humanities Organisations (ADHO), the Canadian
Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences (CFHSS), the Modern
Language Association (MLA), the Canadian Society for Digital Humanities /
Société canadienne des humanités numériques (CSDH/SCHN), the Association
for Computers and the Humanities (ACH), the Society for the History of
Authorship, Reading and Publishing (SHARP), the Electronic Literature
Organization (ELO), the Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance
and Collaboratory (HASTAC), Compute Canada, the Canadian Research
Knowledge Network (CRKN), and the Social Science and Humanities Research
Council of Canada (SSHRC).

We’re so very grateful for such good company!  And we’re even more pleased
to note that membership in these groups allows discounted registration
(details at http://dhsi.org/registration.html).

   . . . And a new Graduate Certificate in DH!

Recently, U Victoria has launched a DHSI-based Graduate Certificate
program in Digital Humanities, with applications received beginning
September 2014 for intake in May 2015. The certificate program can be
taken in conjunction with other graduate degrees at Victoria and
elsewhere, or on its own. Furthermore, one of the most unique elements of
this program is that it allows those who come to DHSI to receive graduate
university credit for the work they've done while at DHSI, in combination
with courses at other partner institutes (Oxford, Leipzig, and HILT, among
many others) and institutions. Please see our homepage announcements bar
for further details and news about the program.

---

It is shaping up to be another banner year, and we hope very much that you
are considering joining us for it!  (And do tell a friend!)

All best,

Ray
  For the DHSI team
  http://dhsi.org/

-------------------
DHSI 2015 Offerings

1-5 June
- [Foundations] Digitisation Fundamentals and their Application
  Robin Davies and Michael Nixon
- [Foundations] Scholarscapes, Augmented Dissemination via Digital Methods
  James O'Sullivan and Orla Murphy
- [Foundations] Models for DH at Liberal Arts Colleges (& 4 Yr
Institutions)
  Janet Simons and Angel Nieves
- Out-of-the-Box Text Analysis for the Digital Humanities
  David Hoover
- Conceptualising and Creating a Digital Documentary Edition
  Jennifer Stertzer and Cathy Moran Hajo
- Open Journal Systems for the Digital Humanities
  Kevin Stranack

8-12 June 2015
- [Foundations] Text Encoding Fundamentals and their Application
  Constance Crompton, Emily Murphy, and Lee Zickel
- [Foundations] Fundamentals of Programming/Coding for Human(s|ists)
  John Simpson and Dennis Tenen
- [Foundations] Web Development / Project Prototyping for Beginners with
Ruby on Rails
  Markus Wust and Brian Norberg
- [Foundations] Understanding the Pre-Digital Book
  Matt Huculak, Justin Harrison, Mary Elizabeth Leighton, Lisa Surridge,
and Robbyn Lanning
- [Foundations] DH For Department Chairs and Deans
  John Unsworth and Ray Siemens
- Advanced TEI Concepts / TEI Customisation
  Julia Flanders and Syd Bauman
- Online Collaborative Scholarship: Principles and Practices (A CWRCShop)
  Susan Brown, with Mihaela Ilovan, and Michael Brundin
- Sound of :: in Digital Humanities
  John Barber
- Digital Pedagogy Integration in the Curriculum
  Diane Jakacki
- Introduction to Electronic Literature in DH: Research and Practice
  Dene Grigar, M.D. Coverly, Sandy Baldwin, and Davin Heckman
- Digital Humanities with a Global Outlook
  Alex Gil
- Games for Digital Humanists
  Matt Bouchard and Andy Keenan
- Feminist Digital Humanities: Theoretical, Social, and Material
Engagements
  Jacque Wernimont and Elizabeth Losh
- Digital Indigeneity
  Dean Irvine
- Digital Documentation and Imaging for Humanists
  Michael Ashley and Kelley Shanahan
- Physical Computing and Desktop Fabrication
  Nina Belojevic, Devon Elliott, Shaun Macpherson, and Jentery Sayers
- Pragmatic Publishing Workflows
  John Maxwell
- Crowdsourcing as a Tool for Research and Public Engagement
  Edith Law
- Creating LAMP Infrastructure for Digital Humanities Projects
  Jon Martin
- Digital Humanities Databases
  Harvey Quamen and Jon Bath
- Text Mapping as Modelling
  Øyvind Eide
- 3D Modelling for the Digital Humanities and Social Sciences
  John Bonnett
- RDF and Linked Open Data
  James Smith
- Visualizing Information: Where Data Meets Design
  Aimee Knight
- Stylometry with R: Computer-Assisted Analysis of Literary Texts
  Jan Rybicki and Maciej Eder

15-19 June 2015
- Professionalizing the Early Career Digital Humanist: Strategies and
Skills
  Daniel Powell and Melissa Dalgleish
- Drupal for Digital Humanities Projects
  Quinn Dombrowski and Raf Alvarado
- Geographical Information Systems in the Digital Humanities
  Ian Gregory, with Cathryn Brandon
- Understanding Topic Modeling
  Neal Audenaert
- Open Source OCR Tools for Early Modern Printed Documents
  Matthew Christy
- Data Mining For Digital Humanists
  George Tzanetakis
- Advanced Criticism and Authoring of Electronic Literature
  Dene Grigar, M.D. Coverly, Sandy Baldwin, and Davin Heckman
- A Collaborative Approach to XSLT
  Zailig Pollock and Josh Pollock
- Data, Math, Visualization, and Interpretation of Networks: An
Introduction
  Scott Weingart