[Humanist] 28.329 demo or argument?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Sep 14 12:34:01 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:19:22 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: demo or argument?

In his illuminating biography of Allen Newell, in the U.S. National
Academy of Sciences' Biographical Memoir series
(http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/), Herbert
Simon makes the following statement:

> A genuine computer program performing a task of some sophistication
> has much more persuasive and educational powers than do verbal
> discussions of ideas. A running program is the moment of truth.  (p. 149)

A formal debate does not often come to my mind, but in this case it was
my first thought. Or perhaps a panel session at a conference where
computer science meets the humanities?

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney