[Humanist] 28.328 events: THATCamp, digital projects esp in history of science

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 07:37:03 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:27:45 -0500
        From: Stephen Weldon <stephenpweldon at GMAIL.COM>
        Subject: THATCampHSS Chicago, Illinois, November 6

[Forwarded from SIGCAS with thanks. WM]

I would like to invite historians of science who are coming to the History
of Science Society meeting this fall in Chicago to consider attending THATCamp
HSS 2014  http://hss2014.thatcamp.org/ , a day-long open space meeting
revolving around digital projects in the humanities, especially history of
science. People of all skill levels are encouraged to attend. (Please
register  http://hss2014.thatcamp.org/register/  early to hold your place.)

The Humanities and Technology Camp, is an open, welcoming meeting where
participants learn and build together in sessions proposed on the
spot. Anyone who is working on a digital humanities project, or who wants
to learn about starting one, is welcome. You can learn more about how they
work at the About THATCamp  http://thatcamp.org/about/  page.

Several people with significant experience in digital history of science
will be in attendance. Alex Wellerstein whose Nuclear Secrecy Blog
 http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/  has made national news will bring
insights on visualization projects as well as new things you can do with
Google Maps. Manfred Laubichler
<https://sols.asu.edu/people/manfred-laubichler> of ASU will be at the
meeting with expertise on informatics and historical computational methods.
I intend to share practical advice on building robust and sustainable
digital projects.

The camp meets on Thursday, November 6th, 2014 at the Gleacher Center in
downtown Chicago (only about a fifteen-minute walk from the Westin Hotel,
the HSS conference site). It will last from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. The cost is
$20 (collected at the door), which helps cover some of the costs of holding
the event. All are invited, but we cap attendance at 50 people, so please
sig  http://hss2014.thatcamp.org/register/ n up
 http://hss2014.thatcamp.org/register/  early.

Sponsors include the IsisCB  http://isisbibliography.org/  and the University
of Chicago Press – Journals Division
 http://www.press.uchicago.edu/journals.html .

Follow us on Twitter @THATCampHSS  http://twitter.com/THATCampHSS . Please
use the hashtag #thatcampHSS. Feel free to contact me (
stephenpweldon at gmail.com) if you have questions.

Stephen P. Weldon
Assistant Professor of History of Science
Editor, Isis Bibliography of the History of Science
Department of History of Science
University of Oklahoma
601 Elm, Room 618
Norman, OK 73019-3106