[Humanist] 28.320 pubs: on The New Humanities Project

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Sep 9 07:25:37 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 23:14:37 +0200
        From: Domenico Fiormonte <domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com>
        Subject: New Humanities project publication

Dear Willard,

I hope Humanist readers will be interested in a paper that was recently
published in a special issue of the journal "Humanities":

http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0787/3/3/415

The work is the result of more than two years of research, presenting five
case studies that emerged from a dialogue and a collaboration between
scientists and humanists at Roma Tre. Such dialogues of course have
illustrious predecessors, and we are aware of the centuries-old
epistemological debate. We know also that throughout the centuries many of
these attempts have failed to build a less fragmented scientific community.
So why trying it again? I can speak for our experience here, but I think we
all felt that too many essential connections were missing within our
respective fields on a number of multidimensional problems (i.e.,
"knowledge", "memory", "gender", "consciousness", etc.). And the present
one seems to be, also for historical reasons (i.e. the present global
"cultural crisis"), the right moment to do something for challenging our
intellectual routines (including, Gods forgive me, DH).

Students and teaching (especially the rigid European models) were always in
our mind, so we've been reflecting also on how to implement what we have
experimented with into a flexible interdisciplinary graduate programme. That
ideally should be our next move. Stay tuned at http://www.newhumanities.org

All the best

Domenico