[Humanist] 28.311 photographing palm-leaf mss

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Sep 5 10:31:20 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>                    (47)
        Subject: Re:  28.307 photographing palm-leaf mss?

  [2]   From:    "Mylonas, Elli" <elli_mylonas at brown.edu>                  (45)

        Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 07:53:04 +0200
        From: Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>

Dear Sree Ganesh.T,

Our experience in putting together collections of images (like this one:
http://paradisec.org.au/fieldnotes/AC2.htm) is to aim for the highest
possible resolution of colour image and store it as a TIF file. Filenaming
is critical to keeping track of images. You can then use compressed (jpg)
versions for delivery but will have a good preservation copy of the image.
We have provided a procedures manual here,
http://www.paradisec.org.au/OperationsManual2011.pdf – see the section at
page 30 on 'Archival Imaging for Access Manual'. While a little dated, the
main points of the process are still valid.

All the best,

Nick Thieberger

On 4 September 2014 07:28, Humanist Discussion Group <