[Humanist] 28.447 Big Data no boondoggle

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 09:01:29 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (39)
        Subject: Big Data thresholds and tolerances

  [2]   From:    maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>                  (108)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 28.446 Big Data no boondoggle

  [3]   From:    Alan D Corre <corre at uwm.edu>                               (7)
        Subject: Re:  28.440 Big Data no boondoggle

        Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:23:14 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Dear Joris,

You say that,

> .... If you are talking just about how
> humanities faces big data because of things like JSTOR, then the
> epistemological problem is not new, right? We always knew there were far
> more journal articles, monographs, information, and data out there than we
> would ever be able to find and to gauge. Maybe digital archives just put
> that problem more clearly in our face. That again is an effect of what we
> call tongue-in-cheek Daniel O'Donnel's first law of computing: problems are
> not so much created through computing, but they are magnified manifold by
> it.

We could say, and I would agree, that *in principle* the problem is very
old. But that's not how we used to think. When I wrote my dissertation
on Milton's Paradise Lost in its relation to biblical and classical
literature (late 1970s-early 1980s), it was still assumed that I would
read everything that had been written on that topic, e.g. all criticism
up to that time, all the major works of Greek and Latin literature, all
of Augustine and so on. I did read quite a bit but not all. I did
actually finish the thing, though it took me 8 years. I would assume
that nowadays if anyone at all works on Milton no such assumption is made.

There are thresholds past which different things happen. The problem I
was really thinking of was, however, not merely the known or estimable
volume of relevant literature but the ease with which I can find out
about and obtain items. The failure of mechanisms for retrieving items
with the best precision/recall ratio in combination with natural
curiosity in combination with that ease is the difference that has made
a difference. A threshold has been reached, I have crossed it and
nothing will ever be the same again.

The microscope (or I should say all kinds of microscopes) only magnify.
You could say all that stuff has always been there, so what's the big
deal? I'd say, go read Hacking's "Do we see through a microscope?" and
then think again. So I'd argue that yes, we do have a new
epistemological problem, at least in practice.

Group, University of Western Sydney