[Humanist] 28.446 Big Data no boondoggle

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 28 08:50:36 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:04:13 +0100
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>
        Subject: Re:  28.440 Big Data no boondoggle

Dear Willard,

Not sure I understand you entirely. If you are talking just about how
humanities faces big data because of things like JSTOR, then the
epistemological problem is not new, right? We always knew there were far
more journal articles, monographs, information, and data out there than we
would ever be able to find and to gauge. Maybe digital archives just put
that problem more clearly in our face. That again is an effect of what we
call tongue-in-cheek Daniel O'Donnel's first law of computing: problems are
not so much created through computing, but they are magnified manifold by
it.

But epistemologically until now we mostly treat this problem the same way
as we did in the library age. Stephen Ramsay has succinctly described this
in "The Hermeneutics of Screwing Around"[1]. We create our individual paths
through a selection of knowledge guided by peer feedback. That is how we
have answered that problem until now: discourse.

So indeed the problem is not new, and only getting bigger–or clearer.
Natural language processing, text mining, machine learning, and other tools
still in the make may lead us to answer this epistemological problem
differently in the foreseeable future. By more advanced forms of distant
reading for instance. But these tools are still very much in the makers'
labs. Which is where a lot of the DH effort should go I think. Our
epistemology seems way too important to me to let it be dictated by
computer science alone.

…

Allow me to add a point about the interview with Michael Jordan. I found it
somewhat amusing that he would comment on the idea of the singularity
basically saying it is outer academy nonsense, yet a few lines on he notes:
"I don’t think most of us think the Turing test is a very clear
demarcation. Rather, we all know intelligence when we see it, and it
emerges slowly in all the devices around us. It doesn’t have to be embodied
in a single entity. I can just notice that the infrastructure around me got
more intelligent. All of us are noticing that all of the time." To me that
signals a case of academic ethical blind spot. I am not suggesting
researchers must be their own ethical referees, but relegating issues of
ethics and societal impact beyond the realms of academia and to the–implied
unimportant–domain of fiction, strikes me as dangerously dismissive of
reflecting on what your research may cause.

y.s.,
Joris

[1] Which was at
http://www.playingwithhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/hermeneutics.pdf,
but that site experiences trouble as I write this. Hopefully it will
return, and otherwise I hope Ramsay may tend to renewed open publication.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Willard McCarty <

--
Drs. Joris J. van Zundert

*Researcher & Developer Digital and Computational Humanities*
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands

*Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences*
 http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/
http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/
 http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vanzundert/?lang=en

-------

*Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.Mr. Gibbs:
We figured they were more actual guidelines.*