[Humanist] 28.441 on Radio 4: Hidden Histories of the Information Age

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 26 09:03:58 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:23:16 +0000
        From: Brian Randell <brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk>
        Subject: Hidden Histories of the Information Age

Hi:

BBC Radio 4 have has produced a set of six 15 minute radio talks in association with The Science Museum, whose new permanent  “Information Age” Gallery has just opened: "More than 200 years of innovation in communication and information technologies are celebrated in Information Age: Six Networks That Changed Our World, our biggest and most ambitious gallery to date. Information Age  is divided into six zones, each representing a different information and communication technology network: The Cable, The Telephone Exchange, Broadcast, The Constellation, The Cell and The Web.mThe gallery explores the important events which shaped the development of these networks, from the dramatic stories behind the growth of the worldwide telegraph network in the 19th century, to the influence of mobile phones on our lives today.”

See http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/Plan_your_visit/exhibitions/information_age.aspx.

The Hidden Histories of the Information Age talks are available (I assume worldwide) at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mttrp/episodes/guide
Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK