[Humanist] 28.440 Big Data no boondoggle

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 26 09:03:08 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:17:56 +0100
        From: Em Tonkin <cselt at bristol.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 28.438 the frailty of Big Data and machine learning; academic freedoms

Also worth checking out - a blog post by Jordan about the interview
process and outcome:

https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/2014/10/22/big-data-hype-the-media-and-other-provocative-words-to-put-in-a-title/

'"The Delusions of Big Data and Other Huge Engineering Efforts'.
It took me a moment to realize that this was the title that had been placed
(without my knowledge) on the interview I did a couple of weeks ago. Anyway
who knows me, or who's attended any of my recent talks knows that I
don'€™t feel that Big Data is a delusion at all; rather, it'€™s a
transformative topic, one that is changing academia (e.g., for the first
time in my 25-year career, a topic has emerged that almost everyone in
academia feels is on the critical path for their sub-discipline), and is
changing society (most notably, the micro-economies made possible by
learning about individual preferences and then connecting suppliers and
consumers directly are transformative). But most of all, from my point of
view, it'€™s a *major engineering and mathematical challenge*, one that
will not be solved by just gluing together a few existing ideas from
statistics, optimization, databases and computer systems. I.e., the whole
point of my shtick for the past decade is that Big Data is a Huge
Engineering Effort and that that'€™s no Delusion. Imagine my dismay at a
title that said exactly the opposite."