[Humanist] 28.433 call for nominations: Association for Computers and the Humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 24 07:07:30 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:36:55 -0500
        From: Glen Worthey <gworthey at stanford.edu>
        Subject: ACH 2014 Elections: Call for Nominations

ACH 2014 Elections: Call for Nominations
Due date: October 31, 2014

The Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH) invites
nominations for the 2014/2015 elections, in which our members will elect
three Executive Council members for four-year terms. We seek candidates
who want to support and advance the field of digital humanities (DH) by
helping to lead the ACH in the coming years.

ACH officers and Executive Council members develop and uphold ACH
policies, determine and distribute funding, and oversee all
organizational activities. Activities for 2014/2015 include our
mentorship program and job slams; advocacy work; publications including
the Humanist list, Digital Humanities Quarterly and DH Answers;
collaborations with ADHO partners in the annual DH conference and other
professional activities (including the first-ever joint conference of
ACH and CSDH-SCHN (our Canadian counterpart); co-administration of a
number of prestigious DH awards, distribution of student bursaries for
DH training and education, as well as other priorities as set by the ACH
membership. You can be involved in helping ACH programs succeed by
nominating yourself, or someone else, to be an active participant in the
leadership of the Association.

To stand for election as an Executive Council member, candidates must be
members in good standing of the ACH. Council members commit to being
present (whether in person or virtually) at annual meetings usually held
at the Digital Humanities Conference, and to participating in
discussions during the rest of the year by email and audio/video
conference. Council members are expected to be active in the digital
humanities community.

We welcome participants not just from universities and colleges, but
also galleries, libraries, museums, community groups, and other
organizations engaged with digital humanities, from anywhere in the
world. We also welcome nominations of people from all constituencies and
humanities disciplines, and especially encourage the nomination of
women, people of color, LGBTQ, or other under-represented groups.
Demonstrated commitment to the organization and to the field counts for
more with our membership than professional affiliation, academic status,
or job title.

Send nominations to nominations at ach.org by October 31st, 2014. Please
confirm with your nominee that he or she is willing to serve if elected;
the only other requirements are to:

    * Provide a brief candidate statement and biography. Sample
candidate statements from past elections are available on our Candidates
page  http://ach.org/elections-candidates/ . If your nominee cannot
provide a biography and candidate statement at the time of nomination,
they should email those to us before the close of nominations.
     * Have the nomination seconded. Per ACH bylaws, all nominations
require two nominators (including oneself, if self-nominating) before
being included in the ballot, so please allow time for a second
nominator to email us in support of your nomination.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at
nominations at ach.org.

The three top vote-getters in the Executive Council race will be elected
to four-year terms. For more information on the responsibilities and
obligations of the ACH Executive Council, read our Bylaws at
 http://www.ach.org/constitution#Bylaws .

Visit our Officers page  http://ach.org/officers/  for a current list of
officers.

Thanks for helping shape the future of the ACH!

Sincerely,

The 2014/2015 ACH Nominations Committee

     Brian Croxall, Emory University
     Mia Ridge, Open University
     Roopika Risam, Salem State University
     Glen Worthey, Stanford University (Chair)
     Dot Porter, University of Pennsylvania (ex officio, ACH Vice President)