[Humanist] 28.432 biological metaphors

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 24 07:05:54 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:58:13 -0500
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  28.429 biological metaphors

On Oct 23, 2014, at 12:20 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk> wrote:

>        Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:27:33 -0500
>        From: Greg Linch <greglinch at gmail.com>
>        Subject: Re:  28.418 biological metaphors?
>

> This more from the CS end of things, but perhaps of interest:
>
> *Nature of Code*
> by Daniel Shiffman
> http://natureofcode.com/book/

> "How can we capture the unpredictable evolutionary and emergent properties
> of nature in software? How can understanding the mathematical principles
> behind our physical world help us to create digital worlds? This book
> focuses on the programming strategies and techniques behind computer
> simulations of natural systems using Processing."
>
> *From the preface:*
> "The goal of this book is simple. We want to take a look at something that
> naturally occurs in our physical world, then determine how we can write
> code to simulate that occurrence.
>
> So then what is this book exactly? Is it a science book? The answer is a
> resounding no.

Physics is a science and the book covers some principles of mechanics
through a focus on coding, interaction, and visualization. I would say that
the book emphasizes simulation where the modeling is performed with
text (otherwise called “coding”).

> True, we might examine topics that come from physics or
> biology, but it won’t be our job to investigate these topics with a
> particularly high level of academic rigor. Instead, we’re going to glance
> at scientific concepts and grab the parts that we need in the service of
> building a particular software example.”

What type of particular software example?

-p

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Chair, ACM SIGSIM
Distinguished University Chair of Arts & Technology
   and Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology