[Humanist] 28.429 biological metaphors

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 23 07:20:38 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:27:33 -0500
        From: Greg Linch <greglinch at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  28.418 biological metaphors?

This more from the CS end of things, but perhaps of interest:

*Nature of Code*
by Daniel Shiffman
http://natureofcode.com/book/

"How can we capture the unpredictable evolutionary and emergent properties
of nature in software? How can understanding the mathematical principles
behind our physical world help us to create digital worlds? This book
focuses on the programming strategies and techniques behind computer
simulations of natural systems using Processing."

*From the preface:*
"The goal of this book is simple. We want to take a look at something that
naturally occurs in our physical world, then determine how we can write
code to simulate that occurrence.

So then what is this book exactly? Is it a science book? The answer is a
resounding no. True, we might examine topics that come from physics or
biology, but it won’t be our job to investigate these topics with a
particularly high level of academic rigor. Instead, we’re going to glance
at scientific concepts and grab the parts that we need in the service of
building a particular software example."

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <